Wednesday, October 11, 2006

LOVE Thursday

Kenny took this picture of us napping in California when Isabella was finally able to come out of the hospital and to the hotel with us. We had to make a "make shift" bed for her for a few days (although she spent even more time sleeping on one of us.) I was already so worried that I wouldn't hear her when she woke up and the fact that she wasn't even 5 pounds made me want to hold my hand on her so I would always know she was ok or maybe it was just the fact that I wanted to feel her, so afraid I was going to wake up from this wonderful dream. I used this picture for a scrapbook page and I found the poem below that I thought was so fitting for it. I know women who give birth feel this way as well, but it seemed to state my feelings so perfectly, because I didn't have 9 months to wonder about her, to get to know her in a sense, to know what she felt like when she moved, to hear her little heartbeat, and I wasn't there the day she was born. So, literally, overnight I was thrown into being her mommy and from the very first minute that I saw her sweet face my heart was overflowing with love.

How can I love so intensely someone I barely know?
Someone who has said not a word and shared not a thought.
Someone who has yet to see the page of the calendar turn ...
I look for a hint of a smile as I hold you close ...
Through the night, I check your cradle. Looking for the rising and falling of your chest and straining to hear your soft breaths ...
How can I love so intensely someone I barely know?
I didn't know it was possible -- until there was you, my little miracle, my little mystery.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very beautiful. The picture and the poem.

5KidMom said...

Precious an beautiful, DeAnna.

The suitcase was a great idea. My Step-Mom slept in a dresser drawer when she was a very tiny newborn. Somethimes, we just have to make it work. 8^)

~k/c~ said...

Very Sweet.

Jen said...

What a heartwarming post! I love both the picture and the poem. You are truly blessed. Thanks for sharing the memory, and Happy Love Thursday!

Becky said...

Awww! I can't believe that's Isabella. Where has the time gone?! Don't you wish you could just reach right in the picture and snuggle her? What a precious picture!

Erin said...

When my oldest was born, she had a couple of makeshift beds similar to the picture you posted. Very sweet.
Happy love thursday!

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I felt like this with our son after he was born! Like you, I didn't get 8 months to get to know her but when I first held him, my heart swelled with such an intense feeling of love that it astonished me! It doesn't take pregnancy to make you feel like mommy, does it? I love the picture you shared!

I wanted to make sure to thank for your comment on my Bye Bye Baby, Hello Little Boy post. I sure do appreciate your potty training advice! I'll let you know how it all goes when we start.

Michelle said...

what a sweet picture...she looks so comfy in her make shift bed w/your hand on her; and what a beautiful poem.

Unknown said...

I used to do the same to my baby. I'd put my hand on his tummy so I'd know he was okay.

Happy Love Thursday. Mine's up. Care to drop by?

Kris said...

Beautiful picture, Deanna. What a fairy tale story you will have to share with Isabella one day.

Sylvie said...

So beautiful!

Girl con Queso said...

Oh my gosh! I love it. So tiny! And in a suitcase!