Thursday, January 11, 2007

Book Meme

I've been tagged actually by two people, Shawnda and Michelle for the same thing. It is a book Meme.

So here is how it works:

1)Grab the book closest to you
2) open to page 123, and go down to the fourth sentence
3) post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog
4) Name the author and book title
5) Tag 3 people to do the same

Honestly, we don't have any books on our desk, except a dictionary -- so if you want to consider that the closest book to me the 4th word down on page 123 is Beef. (I don't think I really need to type the definition out :) So I cheated, first I decided to go to books I was reading last night. These are "Romancing Your Child's Heart" by Monte Swan, and the other is "Shepherding A Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp (I guess you can see how my heart has been burdened lately) First I chose "Shepherding A Child's Heart" -- Page 123: "What happened? Charlie's conscience was smitten by the gospel! Something in what I said struck a chord that resonated with his young, larcenous heart." Not a great 3 sentences to write since you'd have to read the whole story. Then I went to "Romancing Your Child's Heart" -- Page 123: "The childlike nature may become adultish, defensive and cynical. Children hurried in this way lose their fluidity of mind, and their spirits shrink, pull inside and close. For example, children forced to read before they are developmentally ready commonly have lifelong reading problems." Although this did make me think I should stop worrying about Isabella not knowing the sounds of all the letters...... Page 123 just had to be on child development rather than anything inspiring. So I thought I would go ahead and grab another book that, although I haven't read in a while, always has encouragment when I read it. This is E.M. Bounds On Prayer - This is a compilation of 7 books he had written. So -- Page 123, "The eye and presence of God give active life to trust just like the eye and presence of the sun make fruit and flowers grow and all things glad and bright with fuller life. Faith and ttrust in the Lord form the keynote foundation of prayer. Primarily, it is not trust in the Word of God, but rather trust in the person of God."
So there, it is, I cheated -- but once again I was encouraged and convicted about my trust in God and Who He is!

NOW...... who to tag....... I am going to tag Becky (partly because I'm just tired of seeing the same picture on her blog for the past 3 weeks! :) and partly because I'm sure she will either give me great encouragment or a good laugh in her book selection), Kris (you're lucky you updated your blog lately or you'd be in the same boat as your sister) and Stephanie (because I can feel her heart in her writings on her blog, and I'm hoping she's got a great book suggestion for me. :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I didn't realize you had already been tagged for this one :) Thanks for playing along - sounds like you have some very interesting books there!

Becky said...

Closest book I've got here, let's see....page 123, ok big picture on this page, so I'm turning to page 124...(drumroll please...)

"Good Morning, friend farmer."

Yes, I too have been doing some serious reading on child rearing and so I try to greet each of my children with this friendly phrase. I bet you didn't get that out of Ted Trip's book! :o)

Becky said...

Ohhhhh, I've failed at my task already. I forgot to give you the title of my book and the author. (for all of you searching for this wonderful book that offered so much insight on raising children.) The title of this story is "The Farmer and the Donkey." By Karen Wilt. Too bad, it wasn't the 8th sentence down. That one is "Hee-haw. Hee-haw."

Calico Sky said...

how lovely! What a nice tag!!