Tuesday, August 15, 2006



"Oh Lord, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom you have made them all." (Psalm 104:24)

Although I do treasure this picture of Mt. McKinley/Denali, the real treasure for me is what this signifies for us. Five years ago next week, Kenny and I took a trip to Alaska for our 5th anniversary. No, we didn't take a cruise (which is what everyone asks) we flew into Anchorage, rented a car and did our own thing, 2 nights in a bed and breakfast and the other 8 nights camping or staying in little cabins. We had planned our trip out and had thought we were going to spend a few days down in the Kenai Peninsula. We spent 1 night and a half a good day there and then found out that even our 1/2 day of sunshine was a gift because it normally rained there every day during that season. Rather than camping in pouring rain, we packed up and decided to find somewhere else to go. At first, that would seem discouraging, but God had even that planned for us. The places we found for the next few days gave us so much. We were able to find some fun hiking trails, be about 20 feet from 4 bull moose on just an everyday nature trail, and were able to hike on a glacier -- all the nature we were hoping to enjoy!! I won't go through our whole trip, but it was amazing and God was so good to give us daily blessings while we were there. For us, one of the biggest blessings was to see Mt McKinley. We actually got a glimpse of it from Anchorage (hours away!), then saw it again at Talkeetna, then when we took the bus into Denali we were able to be closer - that's where the above picture came from. When planning our trip, we had seen all the amazing pictures of Denali/Mt. McKinley and didn't even think twice about seeing it. Once we got there, we found out that the likelihood of seeing a grizzly in Denali National Park was about 80%, but the likelihood of seeing the mountain was only about 20%. When we got to the point of seeing it (I can't remember how many miles away we were) we were amazed at how magnificent it was and how great our God was to create such beauty. Then within a half hour - it was gone - covered in clouds. We definitely realized that even that was a blessing from God and that He was good to think of our small desires. This trip gave us that extra little boost we needed and is yet another reminder that God's timing is perfect. We had already been trying for children for a couple years at that point, but we are so thankful that God gave us that time together just as a couple, not just in Alaska, but all the other things we were able to do and the time we were able to enjoy each other and to learn the things He wanted us to learn. One of these days, we hope to go back to Alaska - hopefully taking our girls with us and hopefully they will come to enjoy God's creation as we do.
Here's an extra picture - of us hiking on the glacier -- you'll have to excuse the pictures, I didn't have a digital camera at that time, so these are pictures of pictures that are already in a scrapbook album. :)

If you have a treasure to share today be sure to link to mine or visit Faithful Mommy's blog.

9 comments:

andria said...

Have never been to Alaska, but was a big fan of Northern Exposure, and have always wanted to go since then. The picture is beautiful as is the story behind it.

kelly said...

My cousin is in Valdez! She has taken many a picture around the area you are describing and it is an ongoing delight to see her surroundings via pictures and email. Her husband sent us survelience video from his work of bear around the property- looking in their glass doors and such. One of these days, I'm gonna make it up there-- had the chance as a Senior but chose to but my car instead ( still not sure if I would do it again, but probably-- it was a convertible mustang with racing stripes--i was 18!...

:)

I like that your treasures aren't really STUFF so much as the people and experiences you've been afforded.

I've been debating on participating too- it looks like fun...I'm bad at remembering to blog though ( lately anyhow)

I saw the clifford pictures too- I love Isabella waiting to get her book signed-- that was my favorite

kelly said...

p.s. She recently sent us some canned bear meat and salmon-- wanna be daring and have a few bear tacos with me sometime ? :)

Faith said...

Soooo beautiful! I love it, I love the story. Majestic Mountains - God is good!!!
Thanks for joining in!!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Oh my goodness, I thought the picture of the mountain was just a picture that you got off some sight to post. I can't believe that you actually were there looking at it and took the picture yourself. It's gorgeous! What an awesome memory to have! And I love the picture of you and Kenny. -very sweet and romantic!

Barb said...

My brother-in-law and his family live in Wasilla, right outside Ankorage. A beautiful treasure indeed.

Kris said...

Loved the pictures. You'll have to share some more sometime! I've always dreamed of going to Alaska (though sleeping next to a Grizzly makes me sweat a little). There's a marathon in Anchorage every June I beleive. Ladies, shall we say we'll do that one someday. . . before we die?

firstborn said...

what a beautiful post for tt, thanks for sharing!